Author Topic: The wood vs. stone Pipe  (Read 3833 times)

liveorkill

The wood vs. stone Pipe
« on: March 01, 2016, 05:40:08 PM »
Ive used rosewood wooden pipe to smoke as well as a marble stone pipe back when smoking a lot.
Cleaning of the marble pipe was easier while wooden ones wood got carved furthermore by use of scrubs.

My reasoning and personal uses concludes the following :

Overtime, the wooden pipe will absorbs tar by the continuous heating/cooling  and the wood used alters the flavor of your stash.

Once cleaned, the stone pipe allows for the true flavor of the stash to be tasted. But like the steel pipe, can be a tedious job when attempting to clean.

Whether you smoke off steel, stone or wood, it is based upon personal taste but do some of the users here have an idea as to what is ideal or better? ( not considering a place for personal taste )

Off the bat, stone and metal is worse off than the latter since, you are burning the tar and wood of the pipe while smoking etc..

Open discussion, all comments welcomed

Thanks

vir

• Manager
Re: The wood vs. stone Pipe
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
Glass/pyrex: the cleanest and easiest to work with?

liveorkill

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »
I think it boils all down to hygiene. That is the method of cleaning. In a wooden pipe, all it is burning through ashes and tar. Same for glass, stone and metal but through wood is wood.

The wood, glass, metal pipe will cumulate tar, alter each next smoke.

glass and metal if cleaned properly will reset flavour

wooden will change the flavour continuously since it will absorb.

liveorkill

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 12:25:30 AM »
Stone, steel, wood glass, hash, buds and tobacco make a good mix.
Although smoking hash out of some pipes may cause fungal infections.

-A

• Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:07:50 AM »
One thing about most glass pipes for the devil's weed is that they are usually very ornate and change color with ash. Even if you use tobacco. Hash can only truly be enjoyed in a pipe but it is a bitch to clean out. That is why I would recommend stone. Everything else will either absorb it or degrade from it and the cleaning process. Unless you want a dedicated glass pipe that you don't care about leaving affected by the ash because it looks cool.

When we are talking about just tobacco, there is a concept that the use of a well made pipe breaks it in and seasons it. This is so to the point that there is a market for "Estate Pipes" or some such. The tar from the tobacco only enhances future uses until the pipe is objectively unusable. With marijuana, back before it was technically legal (here in Georgia, anyway, hash is legal) it was a waste to put it in a tobacco pipe. But now, I would recommend a wood or bone pipe only if you never change blends, you don't mind the blends having a taste of each other when using them or the same with hashish. I would say wood or bone for your favorite blend and stone for everything else. Glass will never be cleaned properly unless it is made like a typical pipe (and are they anymore?) and will always be dangerously crackable when balancing between your teeth and I have never trusted metal not to warp or get some of the metal in the smoke. I don't know why but, it seems to degrade much more easily and much more quickly. I don't trust it even if it is stainless steel because they use chemicals to process that, which will likely never clean off. It seems chemically tainted and like break down from heat and wear induced patina have a way of tainting what you are inhaling.

Question: does anyone here inhale cigar and pipe tobacco when smoking either? I have been taught not to.

liveorkill

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
Traditionally, hash should burn over a direct heat source like a knife and inhaled. Similar to the hooka concept. A popular method in the north involves burning a hole through a capped plastic bottle and burning a hash hit on a cigarette...

I argue that any new steel, stone and glass pipe will give your stash its true taste at first. Ceteris paribus. The cleaning is complicated thereafter, making the original taste of your tash to be forever altered if not cleaned to perfection. The same applies for a wooden pipe except, a wood pipe allows for one to choose over not only durability but overall taste.

I've come across a rosewood pipe and used it for hash, buds and tobacco on a regular basis. No matter how much cleaning I gave it, it's flavour pronounced rosewood and it's most pre-imbedded tars but always tasted of the rosewood overall. Most interesting I have observed is how the wood pipe would make an otherwise bad-tasting or harsh mix/stash tolerable by smoking it in the pipe.

I have never used of the bone pipe but I guess it is more like a stone, steel and glass pipe with a better durability than glass. Unfortunately, thse are nearly impossible to find locally here. Does anybody know anything about this for the sake of curiosity?

Also,

Question: does anyone here inhale cigar and pipe tobacco when smoking either? I have been taught not to.

The smoking of a cigar the way I was taught was by :

a. taking your initial hit without inhaling into the lungs
b. opening the mouth for the smoke to linger
c. inhaling that smoke by the nose ( in the lungs )

The idea is to enjoy aromas through nose and mouth like you do an old cheese. You can also take a hit and trye to hold it without inhaling but after all, you can try any two with not just a cigar but any stash you prefer.

-A

• Coordinator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 11:58:33 PM »
Traditionally, hash should burn over a direct heat source like a knife and inhaled. Similar to the hooka concept. A popular method in the north involves burning a hole through a capped plastic bottle and burning a hash hit on a cigarette..

My peers in high school used a double knife method that they got off of Erowid. Something about heating it up first in a toaster oven while on the first knife, lighting it, compressing it with a second knife and then using straws/hollowed pens to inhale the smoke. I just always preferred my glass pipe for some reason.

I have never used of the bone pipe but I guess it is more like a stone, steel and glass pipe with a better durability than glass. Unfortunately, thse are nearly impossible to find locally here. Does anybody know anything about this for the sake of curiosity?

It might be by way of cleaning difficulty but it is still quit porous like wood. I assumed that the flavors from the stash would season the bowl of wood or bone in a positive way if it is your favorite blend.

My maternal grandfather and my father were both cigar hounds. They always said to block the throat with the tongue (exhale through the nose to make sure you blocked it right) and just let the smoke linger in the mouth. They like the burn sensation and they like brandy with it (even though they insist they were told it is bad for the throat to have alcohol and tobacco) and they believed the nicotine entered the veins sub-lingually. They loved talking about it whenever one of the youngsters passed them on the porch.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
They always said to block the throat with the tongue (exhale through the nose to make sure you blocked it right) and just let the smoke linger in the mouth. They like the burn sensation and they like brandy with it (even though they insist they were told it is bad for the throat to have alcohol and tobacco) and they believed the nicotine entered the veins sub-lingually. They loved talking about it whenever one of the youngsters passed them on the porch.

This sounds about right. The lore I've been told holds that the Nicotine is absorbed through the roof of the mouth and tongue, and that the 'retrohale' (as described above: taking the smoke in the through the nose, then inhaling) while popular for greater flavor is not necessary. I would hesitate to inhale either a cigar or pipe, or really anything at this point. Love your lungs.