Author Topic: Homebrew  (Read 2958 times)

JPW

Homebrew
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »
In the past three years I've been cranking out a batch of beer every four to six months or so.  I'm attempting to work out best beer kit type to add various fruit components to.  I've tried adding pumpkin to a Lager Kit and strawberries to a Pale Ale.  The pumpkin lager (Jack Pumpkinhead I called it) seemed to do well.  I'll find out about the strawberries early August once the bottles have seasoned.  (I bottled this last Sunday).  What recommendations do you guys have for kit bases that interact well with fruits?

warkin

• Coordinator
Re: Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 01:24:34 PM »
This isn't exactly what you're asking for, but have you ever tried making mead?  Fruits are great in mead, even dry mead.  It's also much simpler to make--I just tasted my first batch and it turned out better than expected.  Just water, honey, and yeast.

-A

• Coordinator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »
Fruits are great in mead, even dry mead.

Yup. My favorite has been blueberry.

JPW

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 05:04:52 PM »
Hmmm... I've thought of reading up on mead.  I've heard it will kick your butt like saki.  I also like the whole bardic folk tradition.  I could almost imagine platins Songs From The Wood while I drop a batch to ferment.

warkin

• Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »
Or Steeleye Span

I've heard it will kick your butt like saki.

This batch had little flavor, but hid more alcohol than I was expecting.  One pint put me in a good spot.

JPW

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 08:29:33 AM »
That's how mine worked out.  If you add fruit, you add alcohol content.  It ferments.  Better living through chemistry.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:52:16 AM »
For me the question would be: what can you grow a whole lot of?

Berries are good because they are bush or small plant based, and so do not require much space or time for the plant to mature. However, trees then gain vertical space and can produce higher yields.

I suppose that high-sugar fruits would be best. Peaches, apples, pears, loquats, plums, figs...

-A

• Coordinator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 03:51:42 PM »
Hmmmmm...loquats...