Author Topic: Ecoliving Megathread  (Read 328152 times)

Exilarch

• Jacobin
Ecoliving Megathread
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
I find it necessary for many reasons to cross post this thread to this place.

I am primarily doing this because more right wingers need to know about these methods, especially alt-rightists who tend to both oppose modernity and value ecology. I went to great personal lengths to reclaim these ideas from insufferable hippy vegans with this purpose in mind and I hope somebody can respect that.

Most people will not understand its content, especially not initially. That is fine. Respectfully ask your questions or raise your concerns and you will get the best thought out response I can muster.

Please keep in mind also that the forum where I originally wrote these posts discussed slightly different ideas than are seen here, and the content of some of the posts will reflect that, i.e. by appearing to reply to nebulous or unfamiliar content.

vir

• Manager
Re: Ecoliving Megathread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:14:47 AM »
If we could more people to replant their side yards with gardens, that's a good entry point to this kind of DIY back to basics approach.

Your average person has no experience with this stuff. When they become homeowners is the first time they think of it.

Susa

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »
This is a pretty good idea and also seems to be a good way to save some hundred litres of water every wash cycle. Why every comment on that YouTube video recommending a broom stick as a handle instead of the short stick is flagged as spam is beyond me though.
Using a plastic container also doesn't go so well with the eco lifestyle in my eyes. Building the whole thing with a metal bucket instead and replacing the rubber bell of the plunger with something else (perhaps carved out of wood, if one has an idle moment to spare) would do a lot to improve the design in that regard. Or building a waterproof wooden bucket instead isn't that difficult as well once one has invested a little time into practicing how to do it, and the same set of metal rings (for most probably no more than three for this appliance) can very likely be reused for one's lifetime and maybe beyond. This material would probably need replacement from time though, whereas the metal construction is likely to last several decades and longer, but time spent building or learning something useful is never time wasted, so it might well be worth the effort.

Also thank you very much for this excellent collection of resources and further links, Exilarch.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »
I see the Japanese futon as the better way. Unlike the couches with foldout beds most of us are used to calling futons, the real deal is a floor mattress that folds up. What bachelor pads have done for ages, the Japanese have long since refined into something classy and functional.

They cost about 100 bucks, though I see a real possibility of using old carpet padding to make your own. As mentioned, they tend to fold up and store in a space minimized fashion, meaning where you sleep can also be your gym or living room or another space. This is square footage you won't need to build as a cobber, and square footage you will directly liberate from clutter as a renter of more conventional buildings.

Ahead of you by 20 years on that one. I ultimately switched to a floor mattress for comfort when reading. However when you are starting out, you do not want to spend money on furniture or moving, so one of these is the best it gets.

accountt1234

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »
I always imagined [Lord Warkonesa] with long hair living in a bare room covered in indie metal logos with nothing in it but a mattress on the floor, an old computer and a bong, with the primary focus of the space being some kind of writings or friends coming and going. I always envisioned the black metal version of Fight Club.

Dude. That's literally virjaywarkiprozakonesastevens. I refuse to believe anything else.

The thing is, the Copenhagen interpretration of quantum mechanics implies that Warkonesa currently exists in a state of quantum superposition, until we meet him IRL. Thus he both has a ponytail and doesn't have a ponytail.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »
Hah, nice. but a mattress on the floor, an old computer and a bong, with the primary focus of the space being some kind of writings or friends coming and going. I always envisioned the black metal version of Fight Club.

Alarmingly accurate. Probably less angsty than Fight Club, but definitely alienated. Also a little bit more furniture. I'm fond of quality sofas. Beds and desks have always been temporary.

warkin

• Coordinator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »
Lots of good info here, thanks.

Just made hot chocolate on the wood stove. It boiled 2 cups of water in maaaaybe 5 minutes including time to build the fire.

Impressive; the wood stoves I've used took much longer.

3) Need to figure out no-electricity food preservation.

Dehydration: place food under low heat for a few hours and add salt and garlic.  Garlic is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, tastes delicious, and has other beneficial nutritional qualities.  Squish, slice, or form food to minimize mean distance to a surface to dry quicker and more thoroughly.  Works for meat, fruit, and bread-like foods (made with grains and/or potatoes).

Also, pickling.

warkin

• Coordinator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 07:49:52 PM »
The tiny house thing smacks of urbanites living in cramped apartments
Responding to this by desiring a huge house is still urbanite thinking--not even getting outside the mindset that indoor environments are the whole world.  Don't give me more artificial space, I want huge tracts of lands that I can escape into without wandering into contact with humans or human stuff.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »
My principle is this:

If you make life beautiful, people can work toward beauty. The best of them will.

If you make it purely functional, they become blockheaded in the worst methods of materialism.

Ecoliving consists of ceasing to subsidize the useless. We cannot stop environmental damage by decreasing individual footprint, only by decreasing the number of individuals.

The statistics on this are fake, as usual. Third world lives create as much impact as first world ones, it's just not measurable because no one is keeping stats. The most important is land displacement, and a bushmeat gathering slash and burn farmer will displace more land than someone living in a 3000 sq ft suburban home and shopping at Costco.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 08:01:49 AM »
Someday maybe I will collect and disseminate this info enough that large enough communities of people act on it that I will see that you are right, but unless such methods reach that level of popularity it's all speculation.

I agree.

I have watched the green community for 20+ years. Other than their entryist/mission creep problem where every agenda first has leftist requirements tacked onto it, then becomes outright leftist, their other problem is a lack of popular appeal because they offer no pragmatic solutions.

Their recycling solution, if you do not live in a town that has recycling, is to stockpile your stuff and then drive it over there and dump it off. Make yourself weaker because others are weak, since that'll take an hour or two out of your week all told.

Any environmental solution that will be adopted will not force people to drop that which makes them strong. They can drop the 10,000 sq ft home because no one NEEDS that, but not the 3,000 sq ft (about a decent house) one.

They can drop the SUVs because they're overkill; asking them to drive Autism minis is a stretch.

They can drop fast food because it's a horror, mostly, but they will not stop eating meat.

They will buy locally, when it shows up in Ho Foods at a reasonable price, but not otherwise.

The solutions to green problems are all policy: reduce population, reduce land use, reduce the ability of companies and individuals to externalize environmental costs.

They are not the solutions liberals like, which are new more expensive products,  new more expensive regulations and public crusades for 200 sq foot portable micro-houses and Priuses. That's fetishism.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 08:04:13 AM »
Since these are obviously poverty accommodations, it leads me to wonder: how badly broken to the core is our relationship with space and material possessions to where even our most dirt poor need multiple thousands of square feet?

The poor are a myth. Everyone is middle class now. We have just downgraded middle class to working class with subsidies.

As far as space, what limits it is being near other people. Cities give you less space, especially big cities.

What do people need it for? They don't know.  They will fill it with landfill because that's what lower caste people do.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 10:12:16 AM »
It's like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »
Most people unknowingly fill their lived with red flags until they are encased 24/7/365 in a cocoon of red cloth.

Unlike the bull, people then justify it. "This red flag is worthless, but I have more of it than you do, so I win."

Witness the clamor for meaningless internet points on Faceplant, Peggit, Fark, etc.

Carjack

• Jacobin
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 04:56:36 PM »
http://mediasite.online.ncsu.edu/online/Catalog/Full/f5a893e74b7c4b7980fd52dcd1ced71521 online college course: Introduction to Permaculture. All classes for free.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 05:12:46 PM »
Here's another form of ecoliving:

A society which exiles all who are useless and keeps people ranked by what they have ability to do, with a focus on leadership before all else.

This replaces incompetent management and thus does away with the pro forma make-work jobs and other subsidies for incompetents.

This in turn reduces the population by making its excess valueless, which means they are exploited for their labor or go elsewhere where life is easier, like the third world.

A cessation of all foreign aid allows other nations to figure out their problems through discovering consequences of each type of action. They are given neither birth control nor food aid, and the populations regulate themselves.

With laws cut down from millions of lines to a few thousand, leadership and intelligent analysis are rewarded over rote application of rule. The type of job that benefits a glorified clerk decreases, and able management jobs increase.

The result is fewer people and people of a higher caliber.

This frees up more land for natural land, which allows it to replenish itself and sustain its species.