Author Topic: #SciFiGate  (Read 314914 times)

Simir

#SciFiGate
« on: February 05, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »

Exilarch

• Jacobin
Re: #SciFiGate
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:27:43 AM »
May duh force be witchu mofugguh!

Cohiba

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 06:57:18 AM »
I think this could be merged into the metalgate thread, seeing as it has become our meta-SJW article.

Exilarch

• Jacobin
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 08:49:23 AM »
Should just start calling it #SJWGate or #TumblrGate as a catchall to all leftist entryism. Would be smart to tie it all together too, and make it clear gamergate, metalgate and all future gates are one hydra with many heads.

warkin

• Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:22:56 PM »
To the outside world, the Hugo Awards are known as the most prestigious honor that a sci-fi or fantasy creator can achieve. However, inside the community they are widely seen as a popularity contest dominated by cliques and super-fandoms. This can be seen most clearly in the dominance of Doctor Who in the TV award categories. The show’s enormous fanbase has garnered 26 Hugo nominations in the last nine years.

That a show as awful as Doctor Who (bland, cliched, tediously predictable storylines; shitty acting; masturbatory overdone campy humour; tenuous connection to actual sci-fi; feelgood egalitarian "weakness is a virtue" philosophy) could win an award is yet another example of why popularity contests are poor methods of selection.

That's the problem in all of these #*gates: superficial "fans" who are ignorant of the core of the genre are overrepresented.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 12:05:37 PM »

warkin

• Coordinator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 04:00:16 PM »
I don't know who this is, but she's declining to be a presenter at this year's Hugo Awards because of #SciFiGate/puppygate, so count that as a win.

http://azsf.net/cwblog/?p=116

It's not worth reading, but this excerpt shows either her awful reading comprehension, or awfully dishonest misinterpretation:

When a commenter on File 770 suggested people fight back by voting for “No Award,” Vox Day wrote: “If No Award takes a fiction category, you will likely never see another award given in that category again. The sword cuts both ways, Lois. We are prepared for all eventualities.”

I assume that means they intend to use the same bloc-voting technique to block anyone but their nominees from winning in future years. Or, in other words, “If you ever want to see your precious award again, do exactly as I say.”

vir

• Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
The SJWs are adopting passive aggressive butthurt as a weapon again.

"Well... if you don't want me, I guess I'll just masturbate by myself, since women are EXCLUDED HERE fascist nazi bastards."

Ten thousand pungi white knight lardass basement jihadists immediately stand up.

OH NO WE LOVE YOU COME BACK AND MOLEST US

The show goes on, no one learning... because none but a few are paying attention, and their information product is less popular than turds, tits and gunfire.

scourge

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »
Nobody was outraged when Lando appeared in Episode 5, nor with Mace in Episode 2 or 3. All the movies are packed with aliens as it is. Maybe it is the more Congoid aspect of the new guy driving everyone batty.

vir

• Manager
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 06:48:16 AM »
The SJWs feel they have made a conquest when they introduce minorities, women or LGBTBBQ into otherwise normal activities. Blacks get more value because they're exotic.

scourge

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »
The LGBTBBQ, women and minorities features were introduced during the peak, I suppose one could say, political correctness years.

The Mars Trilogy, published between 1993 and 1996 gradually introduces the um, Cultural Marxism, as the reader works through the novels. What was desired to be normal as pie and sunshine in the mid 90s but wasn't ended up in these paperback books as such instead. I had to put down Green Mars half way into the book and never return to the series because the content was too blatantly not normal, yet obviously what was being pushed in the media and education system at the time.

That's bad writing, editing and publishing across the board for science fiction. Yes, you could point to Niven with Wu getting it on with Tila or whatever her name was in one of his 1970s novels but it wasn't stark abnormality nor such a large portion of the overall tale. Likewise for Howard having Conan sow some wilds oats in Kush or the Far East realms. These novels weren't obviously drenched propaganda in lockstep with the rebellion of the times.